Tuesday 17 January 2017

First Teaching Block


For my first teaching block I was teaching the light and geometric optics unit of a grade 10 academic science class. During the practicum I learned many new skills and strategies that could be applied to any type of classroom. In this post I will talk about some of the experiences I had while on my teaching block as well as some of the challenges and difficulties that I had to overcome.

This practicum was the first time I had taught in a classroom setting. I had some tutoring and coaching experience but had never run a classroom before. One of the first challenges I encountered while teaching was pacing. Due to being in a university style setting for the past 4 years, my pacing was a little bit too fast at the beginning of block but as I gained more experience the pacing became much better and was definitely one of my biggest improvements.

Being organized was extremely important during the first block. I learned many strategies that I would use in a future classroom to help keep everything organized within the classroom. One of the key organizational strategies that my teacher used was a binder that was always within the classroom that contained extra notes/worksheets. It was the students responsibility if they missed a lesson or multiple lessons to pick-up the notes/worksheets they are missing from the binder which was organized by date of the notes and divided by each class as well. This made it much easier for putting student's who had missed days back on track.

Having an academic class, classroom management and behaviour was not a huge issue for me. Some students would be a little rowdy at times but I found that proximity during lessons and changing pace often would quiet them down.

Image result for mirror equation math

Although I wasn't teaching a mathematics course there was still some math involved in the optics unit. The mirror equation shown above was one of the equations we would use in the class to find the distance of an image produced in a mirror. It was interesting to see how all of the students had different math capabilities within the class. I broke down each question step by step and included the class when solving problems to help cater to all of the different leveled math learners within the class. We also did a lab which had a component that applied the equation which the students found useful!
Image retrieved from: http://previews.123rf.com/images/alexraths/alexraths1209/alexraths120900001/15134543-Teacher-with-a-group-of-high-school-students-in-classroom-Stock-Photo.jpg

Overall I found my first block to be very successful. I learned many useful skills that I could use in any future classroom and gained the valuable experience of teaching in a real classroom. Can't wait until my next practicum!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a great read Ryan,

    I can relate to the difficulties of pacing during the first practicum. I also struggled with this. I found when I was planning it was very difficult to judge how long it would take the students to complete activities that I prepared or how long their engagement would last before needing to switch activities. I also agree that throughout the practicum it quickly began to get easier to predict this. Part of what I wonder is whether this skill we develop as we continue to get teaching practice or is it something we will have to adjust to each time we have a new class.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete